Edgar's Field is a public park in Chester's southern suburb of Handbridge immediately south of the River Dee near the Old Dee Bridge. On the sandstone outcrop towards the centre of the park is the Roman shrine to the goddess Minerva. It is now the only monument of its kind in Western Europe that remains in its original location.
The field takes its name from King Edgar, the great-grandson of Alfred the Great. After his coronation he brought his fleet to Chester. It is thought that he was rowed up the River Dee from the field to attend a service in St John's Church.
Edgar's Field was laid out as a public park by the first Duke of Westminster, Hugh Lupus Grosvenor who presented it to the City of Chester in 1892 as one of the family's many philanthropic activities.
Friends of Edgar's Field Park is a group of local residents and other park users whose aims include working with the Council to:
•Promote the heritage, education, safe use and enjoyment of the Park for all users of all ages •Act as a voice for local people, residents and visitors to the Park regarding its upkeep and its amenities •Encourage and to help resource new facilities, activities and events, which are in keeping with the Park's history and traditions